Tri ethylene glycol (TEG) is a colourless, odourless, stable liquid with a high boiling point and low viscosity. It is a member of a homologous series of dihydroxyalcohols. It is miscible with water and a wide range of organic compounds.
Its chemical properties are similar to those of mono ethylene glycol (MEG) and di ethylene glycol (DEG) though there are slight differences in viscosity, hygroscopicity and boiling point which make it the preferred choice in a number of applications. It is produced by the hydration of ethylene oxide.
Synonyms: TEG, Glycol-bis(hydroxyethyl) ether, 2,2’-[1,2-ethanediylbis(oxy)] bis-ethanol, Triglycol, T3EG, TriEG, 2,2-(Ethylene-dioxy) diethanol, ethylene glycol dihydroxydiethyl ether
Applications of Tri Ethylene Glycol
Tri ethylene glycol, like other glycols, is used widely in industry because of its high boiling point and its solvent and other useful properties including hygroscopicity, non-corrosiveness, freeze point depression, lubricating and plasticizing properties. It reacts readily, making it a popular intermediate for making a number of esters.
TEG is frequently used as a dehumidifying agent in natural gas processing and in air conditioning units. It may be used in the production of polyester resins, UV-curable resins and plasticizers. It is a versatile chemical intermediate which is used in the manufacture of a number of commercial and industrial products such as adhesives, coatings, emulsifiers, lubricants, polyurethane foams, solvents, silicone compounds, moulded ceramics, thermoplastics, safety glass and unsaturated polyester resins.
Storage and Handling
Tri ethylene glycol may be stored in mild steel containers in a well-ventilated place away from heat and sources of ignition. A nitrogen blanket may be used if desired to combat the product’s hygroscopicity in the presence of atmospheric moisture. Avoid contact with strong oxidizing agents. The product may be expected to remain stable under these conditions.
Tri ethylene glycol is an eye irritant which causes redness, watering and itching. It is hazardous in the case of ingestion, being toxic to the kidneys and nervous system. Exposure should be minimised by engineering controls and the use of appropriate personal protective equipment.