Di Iso Butyl Phthalate Suppliers

Di iso butyl phthalate (DIBP) is a clear, colourless oily liquid which is slightly denser than water with a slight but characteristic ester odour. It is soluble in most common organic solvents and is miscible and compatible with all of the monomeric plasticizers which are commonly used in PVC, in combination with which it is frequently used as a gelling aid as it is considered too volatile to use by itself. DIBP is almost insoluble in water.

Di isobutyl phthalate has very similar properties to dibutyl phthalate (DBP) but due to its low toxicity is frequently used as a substitute for DBP in many of its applications.

Synonyms: DIBP; Uniplex 155; Palatinol IC; Hexaplas M/1B; Isobutyl phthalate; Diisobutyl o-phthalate; Phthalic acid, diisobutyl ester; Kodaflex DIBP; 1,2-Benzenedicarboxylic acid di(2-methylpropyl) ester; Isobutyl-o-phthalate

Applications of Di Iso Butyl Phthalate Suppliers

Di iso butyl phthalate is used as a plasticiser for nitrocellulose, cellulose ether, and polyacrylate and polyacetate dispersions.

It is frequently used with other high molecular weight phthalates as an additional, complementary plasticizer in PVC processing due to its ability to improve gelation.It is also used as a light-resistant plasticizer for lacquers and latex, as an additive in pigment pastes, in paints, nitro-cellulose plastic, explosive material, printing inks and adhesives.

It is used in as an alternative to DBP in products in which DBP is now banned, such as toys, childcare articles and cosmetics.

Storage and Handling

Di iso butyl phthalate is combustible andshould be stored in tightly-closed containers in a cool, dry, well-ventilated place away from sources of ignition. Containers must be kept upright to prevent leakage.

This material should be handled in accordance with good industry safety and hygiene practices. Implement relevant engineering controls and avoid breathing vapours, mist or gas. Inhalation of vapour may cause respiratory tract irritation and at high temperatures may irritate eyes and cause headaches, drowsiness and convulsions. Personal protective equipment including approved safety glasses, impervious clothing and gloves must be worn, and respirators should be worn where deemed necessary by risk assessments for the task being carried out.